Thursday, January 20, 2011

Not finished and not entirely true.


Two priests, count ‘em, TWO tried to run me over with their pickup trucks within the last week.

Now these interactions were of course, quite jokey-friendly (?) and resulted in giant hugs that basically dragged me through the driver’s side window of each, but it does not change the fact that when they saw me they increased the speed of their big metal trucks in my general direction resulting in my having to dive out of the way. I don’t think showing affection needs to be quite this violent and dramatic.

Things are getting exciting around here in Bertoua as we are preparing to have this nice little intercultural celebration where an American blues group, the Taproot Jazz Trio, is coming into town and we are having a concert which will feature them as well as the University Choir and some local musicans in a group called Patengue as well as some Baka (the pygmies) to highlight the diversity in culture of the East Province. I, for one, am super pumped.

Next week I have my last two classes on the Nkolbikon campus and I already had, without my knowledge, my last class on the Enia campus because the schedule dramatically changed as schedules seem to here. Yeah, so now I don’t have to teach three classes? I wonder if I can just recycle the lesson plans for next semester. Probably, there seem to be very few rules. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment